Panneau de contrôle du modérateur ]

mât dans la boue

Tout ce qui se rapporte au Weta 4.4. Vos questions, vos réponses, vos témoignages

mât dans la boue

Messagepar sunnyb0y » Jeu Avr 22, 2010 4:34 pm

hier j'ai trouve cette piece de literature interessante pour les Weta sailors
Article by Bob Hyde on Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups. com

I’ve capsized my Weta two times so far, once in deep water and once in shallow water. I think that is the current record in my area. The deep-water recovery is what you have seen in the videos and only takes about two minutes to execute. If the mast doesn’t hit the bottom there is no problem.

Unfortunately, in the shallow water capsized the mast did indeed lodge itself into the mud. The water was about 8 to 10 feet deep and the boat never fully turtled. One of the other owners had a similar situation a few weeks before my little incident and basically pulled the mast, unintentionally, out of the step tryingto recover with some minor damage as a result. So you need to be careful when the mast is in the mud. The first thing you need to do is flood the ama that is under water and make sure all the sail are uncleated. This gets the angle of the mast as low as possible and reduces the winds/waves tendency to drive the mast deeper into the mud. The next thing you need to do is NOT try to pull the boat up by standing on the daggerboard. If you stand on the daggerboard you WILL drive the mast even further into the mud. Do not stand on the submerged ama or daggerboard until you free the mast and it is to windward of the hulls. This is a lethal mistake.

To free the mast you can do a couple of things (I did all of them). First try rotating the boat to windward or leeward by swimming the bow around from the bowsprit. Second, try swimming the stern around from the rudder. Depending on the wind and waves this may get things moving. If that doesn’t work, and it didn’t for me, swim to the end of the bowsprit and push it down by standing on it. Obviously, be gentle when you do this or you’ll end up with a broken mast and bowsprit. Start at the bow and inch out towards the end of the sprit. Next try standing on the very stern of the submerged ama. Do not
stand on the middle of the ama. If all that fails to free the mast, swim underwater to the top of the mast and pull the mast out of the mud. If you are wearing a high-buoyancy PFD, start at the mast base and pull yourself down the mast as far as possible. Hang on to the mast and wiggle it as you go. The buoyancy of your PFD will be surprisingly effective at pulling up on the mast. In my case, doing all of the above freed the mast and I was able to get going again without any damage. Of course, it was raining mud for the next twenty minutes, but no big deal. Had none of the above worked, my next steps were to drop the sails and secure them to the boat and try the above procedure again. If that didn’t work, I was going to disconnect the rig, right the hull, then pull the rig back on the boat and start paddling for home. As a last restore, you can flag down another boat and try pulling the boat free. There are plenty of options to get going again and not damage the boat, but make sure you don’t get into trouble by over exerting yourself. If the water is cold or you are not in a triathlon every week, just take your time and rest if you need to.Don't be in a hurry.

Hope this helps, and remember to always have your mainsheet in hand.

Je l'ai fait au fond de mon stand Weta

Peter Zonjee
Weta # 246
Les Pays Bas
sunnyb0y